Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Favorite Female Characters: Katniss

This is the first part in a new series I'm doing for my favorite female and male characters!  I'll be drawing all of the (good practice) and then blogging about why they're my favorite.

Caution:  This will contain spoilers from the Hunger Games series, but if you haven't read the books you can still enjoy the picture!


"I'll tell them how I survive it. I'll tell them that on bad mornings, it feels impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've ever seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more than twenty years.
But there are much worse games to play."
~Katniss, Mockingjay pg. 390






As we all know Katniss Everdeen is that badass main character from the Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins.  One of the first things she does in book one is volunteer to take her little sister's place in the sadistic Hunger Games and thereby almost certainly saving her sister's life and risking her own.  If that doesn't set you up to be an awesome character, than I don't know what does.

Katniss isn't really even nice.  Like a normal teenager, she's sometimes angsty and whiny.  Her childhood hardships made her a survivor by necessity; she takes a strategic approach to most things and adopts a cold attitude toward Peeta on multiple occasions.  Yet, you can't say that she doesn't take care of the people she cares about.  She starts providing for her family at age 11.  She helps Peeta and Rue in the Hunger Games even though, strategically she should be killing them.  Ultimately she sacrifices almost everything for the good of everyone in the districts.

The obviously cool thing about Katniss is that she's a fighter.  I kind of like to compare her to Batman in some respects, for example:  They both give off "do not mess with me vibes", they are both very adept at fighting (who wouldn't want to be good at archery?), and they both make the decisions that no one else will.  (killing Coin instead of Snow, a move that also shows her superior decision making under pressure)

What I love most of all about Katniss, and a characteristic that shows up in a lot of my favorite characters, is the fact that she's real.  She still gets annoyed and like many girls, sometimes doesn't know what to do with peoples affection.   Despite being brave and strong, she's still affected by the horrors in her life.  Katniss at the end of Mockingjay is a perfect example of this: she was broken, and realistically so, by the trauma she'd been through.   She's a girl who was born into a hard life and learned how to deal with it and live her life the best she could, and I can respect that.

Drawing:  This was drawn by me as my first colored pencil drawing.  It's from this (I think fan-made) poster, and the quality is clearly not great, due to the fact that I took it on my phone.

Anyway, what are everyone else's thoughts on Katniss?

No comments:

Post a Comment